Our Business Today - A Century in the Making

The first grain elevator in Goderich was built in 1866, when Buffalo and Lake Huron Railway opened a 60,000 bushel wooden facility. In 1897, that same facility then owned by Grand Trunk Railway burnt to the ground. The railway had no interest in rebuilding the elevator at the time, but a local group of citizens and entrepreneurs determined to maintain this important industry, had the vision to form a new company - the Goderich Elevator & Transit Company Ltd.

In 1905, the elevator was devastated once again by fire. With tremendous resolve, plans were developed for the construction of the first concrete elevator on the continent - towering 150 feet tall with a storage capacity of 500,000 bushels. In 1910, the facility's capacity was doubled. Following that, in 1923, a further 1,000,000 bushels of capacity was constructed. Then in 1929, the final 1,000,000 bushels of capacity was constructed bringing the total capacity to 3 million bushels. Continuing to expand, in 1973, the company acquired the neighboring grain handling facility from Upper Lakes Elevators just as the St Lawrence Seaway was about to open. In 1996, Goderich Elevators Limited purchased the Canada Agra Dome which was located across the harbor from the elevators. The dome was totally demolished in the devastating tornado that occurred in 2011, in fact much of the structure was never found.

The growth and expansion of the business was not limited to Goderich.

In 1986, an agreement was formalized for Port Colborne Grain Terminal, which until that time had operated as a grain transfer terminal for the federal government's National Harbours Board. The facility was originally designed for trans-shipment of grain sourced from Western Canada and the United States from 'lakers' to 'canallers', prior to the construction of the modern day Welland Canal. The business continues to provide customers with storage and handling services to serve markets on both sides of the border. Over the years, the facilities at both locations have undergone considerable modernization including loading and unloading equipment for truck, rail and vessel, PLC electrical control and operating systems, conveyors, dust collection systems, cleaners, driers, samplers, steel storage bins, and aeration systems. Today, Goderich and Port Colborne Grain Terminal operate with a combined storage capacity of 175,000 MT and handle a variety of agricultural cargoes for our customers.